There are two fans in your air conditioner, a condenser fan in the outdoor unit and a blower in the evaporator. Each plays an important role in the heat release/cooling process; each also provides air flow in your system. When there is a malfunction with your fans, the effects can be felt system-wide. Many times, the problems can look like something other than fan issues, which is why it’s important to call the professionals at Sound Heating to repair your AC.
What Do the Fans Do?
Each fan helps equally with air flow, but plays different roles in the heat release/cooling process:
- Condenser fan – the condenser fan is part of the outdoor unit. The condenser fan sucks up the heat that gets released by the refrigerant in the condenser coils and blows it out into the air. This helps cool the refrigerant in the condenser coils while also dissipating the heat.
- Indoor blower – the indoor blower blows warm air from indoors over the chilled evaporator coils, and then sends the chilled air into the supply ducts for delivery into your home.
What Types of Problems Occur with Fans?
There are a few common problems we see frequently with fans:
- Motor issues – fan motors can falter due to electrical issues, or burnout, and sometimes require replacement.
- Problems with fan blades – fan blades can become bent or loose. One of the main problems with loose or bent fan blades is that they can bang into other parts of your system as they rotate, causing damage. If you hear banging or clunking noises coming from your fan, call a technician for repair.
- Wiring issues – the wires in and around fan motors can fray, corrode and/or disconnect. This can cause uneven voltage to reach the motor, or a total loss of electricity, resulting in breakdown. The wiring in your fan motors can be complex, so it is best to have a trained professional repair any electrical issues you may experience.
Repair Your Fans Correctly with an Expert
The fans in your system are important to its overall operation, so while no one likes to call for repairs, it’s the smart thing to do. If you are experiencing issues with your fans or anything else, call Sound Heating today and schedule AC repairs in Tacoma with one of our trained technicians.