The clouds have gathered, the rain has become more frequent, and the air conditioners are well and truly shut off for the season. It is officially fall. Many of us are ready for warm sweaters, hot drinks, and evenings spent watching fun and possibly even spooky movies. These things are all so much better though when they are enjoyed in a comfortably warm home.
As things get colder in the coming months, you’ll want to do whatever you can to ensure your heater can keep up. Let us tell you how best to keep your heater in optimal shape this season so you get reliable comfort without a high cost.
What You Can Do To Help Your Heater
We know that everyone wants to do whatever they can to help their heater, well, help them! Here are some easy ways to improve the function of your heater.
- Make sure vents are open: Some vents may have been closed during the summer season. We strongly advise checking that all the vents throughout your home and making sure they are open to ensure the best comfort level possible.
- Wipe down your vents: When you are checking your vents, you may want to bring a duster or microfiber cloth with you. Run the cloth over and around the vents to get rid of any dusty build-up that might hinder airflow.
- Check and change the air filter: Make sure to check your air filter! We tell everyone to change their air filter every one to three months to keep the airflow into their HVAC system strong and clean.
The Best Way to Care for Your Heater: Annual Maintenance
Using some of the tips above certainly help your heater but they won’t have the impact that a tune-up will. Your heater can only work as well as it’s expected to with professional care. Here’s how maintenance helps.
- Energy efficiency: Yearly maintenance is going to help your heater keep the best level of energy efficiency possible.
- Heating performance: Rather than battling with the impact of last season’s wear and tear, your heater will perform optimally with the help of a tune-up.
- System safety: A well-maintained heater is far less likely to develop problems that would otherwise put your home, and your health, at risk.
- Repair needs: Maintenance can be thought of as a preventative service. Scheduling a yearly tune-up reduces the chance you’ll need to pay for repairs. What’s more, if a repair need does pop up, it is likely to be smaller and far more affordable.
- Lifespan: Regular annual maintenance can help your heater last longer than you may realize is possible. Instead of barely getting to the 10-year mark, you may find it lasts up to 15 years before needing to be replaced.
If you haven’t already, now is a great time to schedule your yearly maintenance service for your home heating system. Get the most from your heater this season without having to pay an exorbitant price.
Sound Heating and Air Conditioning Inc. is your trusted resource for Tacoma, WA heating services! Contact us today.