Sound Heating and Air Conditioning Inc. Blog: Archive for the ‘Air Filtration’ Category

Improving Your Indoor Air Quality in Winter

Monday, October 3rd, 2022

woman-huddled-in-blanket-drinking-out-of-mugYou want to have great indoor air quality all year long. It’s important to know that your indoor air quality during the winter has its own challenges that are different from the warmer months. When it’s cold outside, you tend to keep your home closed up for longer to prevent the cool air from getting in. This means that you have less ventilation and opportunity for fresh air to get in.

Contaminants like bacteria, mold, and viruses can fester and spread through your home, recirculating each day. The air in your home can also get dry and feel even colder with less humidity in the air. If you’re concerned with your home’s air filtration in Tacoma, WA, our team can help. Learn more about improving your indoor air quality in the winter, and then give us a call to help you reach your indoor air quality goals. 

Continue Reading

Why You Can’t Go Without an Electronic Air Cleaner

Monday, July 11th, 2016

Living comfortably is something that every homeowner strives for. And decent indoor air quality is about so much more than just reaching the ideal temperature. Of course, most people do think first of their HVAC systems when considering their comfort, however there are other factors to consider when it comes to air quality.

Sure, you have an air filter in your HVAC system. But did you know this is just intended to protect the inside components of your HVAC system, not your indoor air? For that job, you need a quality indoor air quality product, such as the electronic air cleaner.

Continue Reading

Common Mold Myths in Redmond

Monday, May 7th, 2012

You hear a lot of bad things about mold and while a lot of them are true, many are not. To help you avoid unnecessary scares and excessive worry about air filtration in Redmond, here are some of the most common myths we hear about mold:

  • Black Mold!! – Black mold is not the only mold you should worry about. While black mold does produce mycotoxins and can be quite dangerous if it develops in your living space, all molds can be potentially dangerous due to the off gassing of MVOCs and other chemicals. If you see mold – whether green, black, grey, or red – call someone immediately to test and check your home for toxicity.
  • Scrubbing with Bleach Gets Rid of Mold – Mold can be removed with bleach, but only on the surfaces you can reach. Real mold removal uses more advanced techniques to clear away spores, block sources of moisture and reduce the presence of the toxins produced by mold. It’s impossible to ever truly, 100% remove mold from any environment, but with the right abatement techniques, you can reduce its impact.
  • Mildew Isn’t a Big Deal – Mildew may have a different name but it’s the same problem. Mildew is a certain kind of mold and that stale, musty smell you experience when it develops is the development of microbial volatile organic compounds – chemicals like benzene and aldehyde. To ensure mildew doesn’t have a negative impact on the overall indoor air quality, be sure to reduce and remove moisture from your home whenever it develops – in basements and attics as well as bathrooms and kitchens.
  • Mold Needs Organic Material to Grow – Mold can grow on anything with enough moisture. While carpets, upholstery, paper and other organic based materials are more likely to develop mold, it can grow on glass, porcelain and metal if enough of the spores are present. The key to mold abatement is not material changes or closing it out; it is to remove the moisture and seal up holes.

Mold is a major health problem for millions – by better understanding it, you can minimize the risk and keep your family safe. If you suspect mold in your home, don’t wait to have it checked. Call Sound Heating today for full testing, inspection and, if necessary, removal.

Continue Reading

Indoor Air Quality Tips: Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds

Monday, April 23rd, 2012

Homes if Des Moines can develop microbial volatile organic compounds, which are chemical agents produced by organic materials like mold that can have a potentially dangerous effect on your nervous system. In fact, some MVOCs have an equal or even worse effect on the human body as petroleum based VOCs which have long been labeled as dangerous to inhale by the EPA.

The problem of course is that there are too many talking heads out there telling you that MVOCs will kill you or that they can be ignored. The truth is in between, and for your family to remain safe and healthy you need to keep a close eye on the effects of potential black mold patches in your home.

Handling MVOCs

The first step to reducing MVOCs in your home is mold abatement. Proper removal will reduce the volume of mold that can off gas these chemicals. Additionally, you should reduce your use of such chemicals as aerosol sprays, paints and paint thinners, hobby supplies, air fresheners and other chemicals compounds that produce manmade or petroleum based chemicals that feed mold.  Make sure that your home has proper ventilation and air filtration.

Finally, make sure you have your home inspected as soon as you suspect the presence of mold. Regardless of the mold’s color and the smell you notice, it should be checked by a professional in the mold detection and abatement field. It might be nothing, but if it is something, you want someone you can trust to take care of it immediately.  Ask a professional what type of air purification appliances you should utilize.

Toxicity in Many Molds

The most commonly cited “toxic” mold is black mold or stachybotrys. This mold produces a mycotoxin that can quite literally poison anyone who breathes or ingests it. However, other forms of mold which might appear as red, white, green or grey produce MVOCs that are equally dangerous. Many people with mold have these dangerous chemicals in their home and don’t even realize it.

Typically, MVOCs can be smelled as a musty, organic gas that develops from the mold as it matures. Mold produces a variety of chemicals including benzene, aldehyde, tulolene, more. These chemicals create that musty scent and are all quite dangerous to the human body. Just because a chemical is organic doesn’t mean it isn’t dangerous to your health. Imagine if man made formaldehyde or benzene were in the air near your children – what would you do?

Please contact Sound Heating if you have any questions.

Continue Reading