Skip navigation

Emergency Service

Emergency Service

Proudly Serving The Greater Puget Sound Area for Over 30 Years


Sound Heating and Air Conditioning Inc. Blog

Heating FAQ: What are the most efficient heating options?

Energy prices never seem to go down which is why many homeowners are looking for new and creative ways to reduce the amount energy that they use in their homes. Getting a new heating system is a great way to potentially reduce your heating bills because new systems are typically much more efficient than older ones. Contact the Olympia WA heating experts at Sound Heating if you’re interested in getting a new heating system. We thought it would be helpful if we put together a quick list of some of the most efficient heating systems on the market.

Forced Air Heating Systems

Forced-air systems like furnaces and heat pumps are extremely popular across the country. They are able to provide very efficient and comfortable heating. Furnaces are given an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating that describes how much of the fuel they consume is actually turned into heat. Many older furnaces had an AFUE rating of about 60%, meaning that they wasted the other 40%. New furnaces can have up to 98% AFUE ratings which is a huge improvement. Heat pumps, on the other hand are normally even more efficient than furnaces because they don’t actually burn fuel to create heat. Instead, they just move heat from one place to another. Their heating mode has an efficiency rating called a Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) that describes how much heat they produce over a season divided by the energy that they consume. Heat pumps also include geothermal heat pumps which use the energy of the ground or the water to provide heating and cooling as well. These systems are even more efficient than standard air-source heat pumps.

Hydronic Heating Systems

Unlike forced-air systems, hydronic heating systems like boilers use heated water to provide heat to your home. They typically use a series of pipes in the floor, walls or baseboards to produce heat. This kind of heat is also called radiant heat. Many homeowners have reported that radiant heat is actually more comfortable than forced-air heat. Because of how radiant works, homeowners can typically set their thermostats a few degrees lower to remain comfortable. This could potentially reduce the amount of energy that you use in your home for heating.

For all your Olympia, WA heating repair and installation needs, contact Sound Heating today.

Comments are closed.